AFI KLM E&M, Safran Move Ahead With Engine Component JV.jpg AFI KLM E&M

AFI KLM E&M, Safran Move Ahead With Engine Component JV

After announcing plans in summer 2016, both parties confirm Airfoils Advanced Solutions will commence operating in 2018.

The AFI KLM E&M and Safran Aircraft Engines engine component repair facility joint venture announced in summer 2016 will operate as Airfoils Advanced Solutions, the parties confirmed Monday (June 12).

The 15,000 square meter facility will repair high-pressure compressor blades and variable stator vanes on multiple engine types. These include CFM International’s CFM56 family engine for the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737, the GE90 option on the Boeing 777 and the Engine Alliance GP7200 powering the Airbus A380 superjumbo.

Located at the Sars-et-Rosières business park in northern France, around 20 kilometers from Valenciennes, the repair center is expected to begin operating from late 2018, following completion of the construction process earlier in the year.

AFI KLM E&M told MRO-Network.com that Airfolks Advanced Solutions will repair 200,000 parts per year in cruise speed once the facility commences operation. The ramp up of services will initially begin with blades overhaul, followed by repair services for engine vanes.

Safran Aircraft Engines will hold a 51% share of the JV, with Air France KLM holding the remaining 49%. The engine manufacturer’s executive vice president, services & MRO, François Planaud said of the founding of the JV is a step forward for its repair capabilities in high pressure sections of engines it currently services.

“It's also a tremendous opportunity for Safran Aircraft Engines to strengthen our position as a major supplier of engine MRO services,” Planaud added.

Anne Brachet, executive vice president of Air France KLM Engineering & Maintenance, said: “This joint venture reflects our development strategy, which is rooted in innovation and the development of new repair solutions to continuously improve the competitiveness of our engine support services.”

Brachet added that the engineering and maintenance specialist will continue its investment in its home bases in France and the Netherlands as well as further afield.

AFI KLM E&M said that once functioning, between 200 and 250 staff will eventually be employed at the site in a variety of technical and administrative roles.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish